Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 13:06:37 +0000
From: "microcode@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...>
To: "Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx]"
<ultralightdx@...>
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] For Hans and the group PL-310ET first impressions
On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 02:48:42PM +0200, Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx] wrote:
Thanks for your email and impressions..
You are quite welcome. I am new to the group and hope to be able to
contribute something. The 310 has been out for a while and I'm sure many
reviews covered it better than I did, especially since I have been away from
the hobby. But I am excited to give a brief report because I am getting back
into radio again and am amazed at what you can get for not very much money
and in a tiny package.

and overall, you get what you pay for the price of this radio.
Yes, I think there's no question about that. It's a very good value.

So we can t expect the features of a receiver that cost a lot more..
Right and I think that is to be expected. But refreshingly quality was not
sacrificed. They seem to get the cost/performance/feature balance right
which I think is saying a lot, really.

Do I understand well that you are a bit disappointed?
No, not at all. I consider it a work in progress and I'm happy that Tecsun
is bringing these radios to market and making improvements. How many
products have we seen that come out and never get better? Tecsun seems to be
listening and making changes and improvements and that is a very good
thing. R&D is usually so expensive and hard that most companies don't do a
very good job of it or need to charge an arm and a leg for their products. I
think Tecsun hit the sweet spot in offering a pretty nice range of models
perhaps even too many models with most anything you want in a portable.

But if you want more capabilities and features you have to go to a
physically larger and more expensive Tecsun just as you would with any line
of radios.

What about 380, still better in your opinion?
I don't have a 380 but as I understand it the 310 and the 380 are
essentially the same radio except it was explained to me here on the list
earlier that the 310 has an antenna jack and a conventional tuning knob
while the 380 has a tuning wheel and no antenna jack. And I believe he also
mentioned the speaker in the 310 was bigger than the one in the 380.
Otherwise the radios seem identical.