Re: which receiver?

m_a_schuster

If the OP is considering a radio the size of the DE-1103 or variant, and lives in the US, then purely on price alone he should have a quick look at the discontinued Radio Shack #2000629 which is an upgraded version of the 20-230 known variously as the DX-402 or Sangean ATS-505(P). It can be had for $35 (or less when there is a special in effect); effectively half price or less.

I mentioned this model in the list of my "MW bleed-through resistant" radios last week. While it is clearly "old technology" it appears to have benefitted from undocumented incremental design and component improvements which make it a capable choice, especially for the bargain-basement price.