Re: Audio Recorder Advice Needed

MarkWA1ION

The Pogo Radio YourWay LX recorder has been used by me on field trips
and at home with both portable and standard communications
receivers. It's not too bad for RFI when running on its own battery.

Battery life before need for a recharge isn't too good though, so I
have an outboard 6V lantern battery or pack of four D-cells through a
dropping diode presenting about 5.2 V to a USB cable to keep the
recorder running during longer sessions including unmanned overnight
recordings. Noted DXer Bruce Conti does something similar with his
Pogo recorder.

Using the supplied AC adaptor DOES generate noise during indoor
antenna / barefoot ultralight operation.

Unfortunately C. Crane, from which I purchased this recorder, reports
it as out of stock ("http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/pogo-
radio-yourway-lx/index.aspx"). They are now offering something
called the CC Witness (catalogue number CWT). It looks similar to
the Pogo unit. I haven't heard much about anyone's experiences with
the Witness yet. At (US) $ 229.95, it's not all that much less than
an Edirol R-09 which is undoubtedly a higher-quality digital recorder.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, satya@... wrote:

Hi John:

I have used the Olympus WS-300/310/320 series and the WS-110. I liked
the
WS-300 Series (before it gave out on me) because it had an LCD "VU"
meter
to monitor recording level to ensure I was getting a good recording.
The
batteries seem to last longer on the WS-110, though, which makes up
for
the fact that I have to monitor the recording off of the WS-110
headphone
jack to make sure I am getting a good recording. For Ultralight
recording, I normally put the Olympus in my shirt pocket, so
ergonomically
it actually works out well. The WS-110 also seems to put out less RF
than
the WS-300 series, especially at high bit rates, which is key with the
ULR's on-board ferrite being so close to the recorder. Putting the
recorder in the endfire of the ULR's ferrite helps as well. The WS-110
runs about $30-40 and I really like it.

For any recorder, the Radio Shack #42-2559 headphone volume control
has
been a godsend, bringing LINE- and headphone-level signals down to the
MIC-level (and correct 1-2 kohm impedance) necessary for good
recording.
I normally have the volume pot near the minimum.

Thanks for doing this!

Kevin

Fellas,

I know that several people on our group are like I was: rather
reluctant to hook up an audio recorder to the headphone outlet of
their Ultralight, fearing impedance mismatches, loads of noise,
etc. I eventually bit the bullet and have been recording
successfully for about 6 months, using a high-dollar Edirol R-09
digital recorder for live Barefoot work and recording on my laptop
when I'm going Unlimited Class with an outside antenna.

Because there are a substantial number of folks out there who have
not started recording from Ultralights, but would like to, I'm
putting together an article for dxer.ca that discusses the
nitty-gritty of this rather simple task. What I would like to do is
also include mention of a number of recording mp3 players and other
solid state recorders that have been used successfully by
Ultralighters. If you have had to do unusual things to beat noise
problems, it would be nice to know that, as well.

If you could just post responses to the group, I'll include a
synopsis in the article.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA