Re: Anyone Comments on Sangean DT400W use?

Gary DeBock

Rob, Kevin and Steve,

     I'll share a little information from recent Ultralight hot-rodding experiments by two ex-Navy sonar technicians, that usually prefer to work in secret (Steve R. and me).

     The C.Crane SWP unit tunes in 1 kHz increments, and has recently been modified with both a Slider loopstick (by me) and a Murata CFJ455K5 IF filter (by Steve), creating a compact DXing monster fully equal with the Slider E100's.  The first prototype is being fully evaluated here against the Slider E100's, with very promising results.  For those DXers hoping to eventually modify an Ultralight into a 9 kHz transoceanic terror, the C.Crane SWP would be a good choice (as long as you can live with push-button volume controls).  Otherwise, pick up an E100 off eBay from "oceansno1" (a.k.a. "anything4home"), who sells decent units at a going rate of about $25.

     The DT-400W is also being modified by us, and both the Slider loopstick and filter mods have been created.  The DT-400W is a great Ultralight with typically exceptional wide-band stock sensitivity, and Steve's filter mod will certainly boost its overall performance.  The Slider loopstick also gives its usual nuclear-powered boost for weak-signal capability (as explained in the recent DT-200VX/ DT-400W Slider Loopstick article posted on DXer.Ca.), but since the radio can't tune in 1 kHz increments, it will never be as effective as the SWP and E100 Sliders for transoceanic DX.

     My new PL-450 for the 2009 Shootout should arrive any day now, and there is great anticipation in the Ultralight community, which is hoping for an upgraded E100.  We shall see!

     73,  Gary

In a message dated 1/26/2009 1:19:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, satya@... writes:

Of the recommended list, only the e100 has 1 khz tuning.

The CCrane SWP has 1 khz tuning: it was initially a Turkey, but Gary
DeBock recently reported that later production models seem to be much
better.

Also, the Tecsun PL-450, a new model, has not yet been tested/evaluated,
although since Tecsun made the e100, and the PL-450 seems to be the
replacement for that model, I bet it's about the same.

For the CCrane SWP and Tecsun PL-450 verdicts, I think Gary is about to
issue the 2009 Shoot-out results in the coming days/weeks, so you may want
to wait until then. I am guessing that the PL-450 is going to do really
well...

Kevin

From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.