Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Re: Radio use in public locations
To: ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, April 4, 2014, 4:38 AM

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing this information. Misery enjoys
company-- I have also had the dubious experience of a police
visit during DXing at an ocean coast park.

In July of 2011 at the early morning hour of 0400 local
time (about one hour before sunrise) I was chasing
Trans-Pacific DX at Road's End State Park in Lincoln
City, Oregon-- technically a "Day Use Only"
park. Early morning DXing had been done at this
location on many previous days without incident, but on July
12, 2011 my luck ran out. A Lincoln City Police officer
drove up to my DXing site, shining his 250 kW headlight in
my face as  I temporarily forgot about chasing Aussie
and Kiwi AM stations.

The Officer got out of his car, took one look at my
subversive-looking FSL antenna, then politely asked me what
I was doing at a "Day Use Only" park at 0400 local
time. I attempted to explain to him the fine points of
Trans-Pacific propagation during the South Pacific sunset
period, but he didn't seem at all interested. Instead,
he called into Headquarters and asked for a full criminal
records check on my Washington state driver's license.
Apparently convinced that he had nailed
a long-term fugitive, he sternly advised me to stay in
place until the full criminal report came back by
radio.

After a few minutes the full report came back from
Washington state, and the Officer seemed pretty
astonished to hear that the "fugitive" had no
criminal record at all. Apparently embarrassed at this
revelation, he simply got in his Police car and drove off--
without even telling me to get out of the "Day Use
Only" park until sunrise. This episode had a major
effect on my future DXpedition planning, however. In order
to avoid these "Day Use Only" cops, all my
future DXpeditions would be conducted at Highway 101
ocean side cliffs-- which have no such time
restriction.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)