Calculating Reception Distance?

Rob

What is the generally accepted way to calculate distance ( I assume
straight line/air/flying distance), or put another way, what web
calculator do most users utilize?

For instance last night 1:00 a.m eastern time I logged WHO 1040am in
Des Moines, Iowa, which I thought was pretty far (a puny 757 miles
compared with 8560 miles by Gary Deacon- CONGRATULATIONS GARY!).

I used:
http://distancecalculator.globefeed.com/US_Distance_Calculator.asp

The result was: "The Distance between Buffalo (New York,Erie County,US)
and Des Moines (Iowa,Polk County,US) is :
1219.34 kilometers (km).
In Other Units:
757.66 miles.
657.95 nautical miles.
Note: the distance is straight line distance (may be called as flying
or air distance) between the two locations calculated based on their
latitudes and longitudes. This distance may be very much different from
the actual travel distance."

Sorry for all the questions, butam changing from a lurker to a ULRer.

rob