Re: Getting 1620 in the log

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

Using this site, the most likely sources for the NOAA Weather broadcast are these. These stations can get ouot good distances due to less
interference.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/travelers-information-stations-search

Frequency: 1.62000000 V
Callsign: WPBX388 Licensee: CONNECTICUT, STATE OF Radio Service: Public Safety Pool, Conventional (PW) City: ROCKY HILL, CT Status: Active Grant Date: 03/16/2013 Expiration: 03/29/2023
Site: 1 Address: 360 BLOOMFIELD AVE City: WINDSOR, CT County: HARTFORD Coordinates: 41° 51' 6.4" N, 72° 39' 45.3" W
Frequency: 1.62000000 V

Frequency: 1.62000000 V
Callsign: WPVT612 Licensee: Village of Hastings-On-Hudson Radio Service: Public Safety Pool, Conventional (PW) City: Hastings-On-Hudson, NY Status: Active Grant Date: 06/14/2012 Expiration: 08/16/2022
Site: 1 Address: Hillside Avenue City: Hudson-On-Hastings, NY County: WESTCHESTER Coordinates: 40° 59' 26.5" N, 73° 52' 33.3" W

Further, if you pick out the NOAA station ID, you can look here to determine the areas covered:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrbro.htm

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@yahoo.com>

AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip

Subject: [ultralightdx] Getting 1620 in the log
To: ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 9:14 AM

Two US AM radio channels had no entries in my log:
1070 and 1620 kHz.

1070 is difficult because 50-kW WTIC is 13 miles away on the
opposite

side of the valley and so far, I have not been able to hear
anything on

1070 due to interference from WTIC on 1080. On the other
hand (or other

side of 1080), I have no problem hearing WBAL on 1090, so go
figure.

1620 is difficult because there are only eight stations on
1620 in all

the USA and none are local.

I made up my mind to tackle 1620 first. My plan was to tune
all my

radios to 1620 and listen to nothing until some anomaly in
propagation

sent a signal my way.

I did not have to listen long and heard a very weak signal
way down in

the mud with my CC SW Pocket radio and Terk Advantage
antenna: a Spanish

station playing Latin music interspersed with current NOAA
weather

broadcasts in English.

My high school Spanish is not good enough to pick up enough
intelligence

from the spoken, broken-by-static Spanish to determine the
source of the

signal. But I was able to get enough intelligence from the
weather

broadcasts to determine that their source was a NOAA weather
station in

southern New England or southeastern New York.

But there are no AM radio stations on 1620 in all of New
England or New

York!

Google is my friend, so I Googled "1620 AM" to see
what it came up

with. The second item that Google found was a link to
listen online to

Restauracion 1620 - AM 1620 - New Britain, CT. New Britain
is about 8

miles away, so I went to the webpage and when I listened
online,

voila! The radio signal on 1620 matched what I was hearing
online with a

slight delay.

The full name of the station is La Nueva 1620 AM
Restauracion (The New

Radio AM 1620 Restoration) and it has a website

(http://www.restauracion1620.com/), but I have not been able

determine the legal status of the operation. Nevertheless, I
entered La

Nueva 1620 AM Restauracion in the log and plan to tackle
1070 next.

Stan Horzepa, WA1LOU

Wolcott, CT, USA

http://horzepa.blogspot.com/