Re: Ultralight DXing Report - Launceston Tasmania - 10/03/2014

Paul Blundell

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply and links to your audio recordings. Last nights session was very enjoyable and I am very pleased with my results.
My next plan is to try a night time session somewhere on the east coast where I hope to hear some more New Zealand stations.

Paul

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM, <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

Thanks for another excellent DXing report (and video) of your session with the 7.5" loopstick PL-380 at home in Launceston. Since many of those stations are prime DXing targets here on the North American west coast, I have posted the link to your YouTube video on the North American IRCA list.

Three of those Australian and New Zealand stations have been received at very strong levels during Oregon ocean cliff DXpeditions here in North America (with a 7.5" loopstick PL-380 and FSL antennas). Oddly enough, though, I have never received your strongest New Zealand station (1386-Radio Tarana).

639-2HC  Coff's Harbour, Australia, 5 kW  (received at Cape Perpetua, OR, 8-16-13)

828-Radio Trackside  Palmerston No., NZ, 2 kW  (received at Cape Perpetua, OR, 7-20-12)

891-5AN  Adelaide, Australia, 50 kW  (received at Cape Perpetua, OR, 7-18-12)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Date: 09/03/2014 - 10/03/2014
Time: 23:40 - 00:50
Location: Home, Launceston Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 130
New stations logged: 3 - 828kHz Radio Trackside / 954kHz Radio Trackside / 1485kHz 5LN
Furthest station logged: 1296kHz 6RN - 2768km

Notes: Late last night / earlier this morning I had the opportunity to do a late night ultralight dxing session at home, this was due to not needing to get up early due to the public holiday today. My session started off at 23:40 and as always I did a check on my two New Zealand check frequencies of 909kHz and 1386kHz which both produced sound results, 1386kHz peaking at a very good signal level. Over the next hour and in to the early hours of this morning I logged 130 stations including two new New Zealand stations and 5LN from Port Lincoln on 1485kHz running just 200W, this was heard just before I ended my session.

Total stations logged for each area were:
ACT - 6
NSW - 52
QLD - 7
SA - 15
TAS - 12
VIC - 29
WA - 1
New Zealand - 8

Overall the band was sounding close to the best I have heard it with the latter time of this session producing must less domestic noise.

I took a video of some of the stations I logged which is linked below.