Re: SRF-59 Coverage

moleonacid@...

Hi Gary,

Well, that's extraordinarily generous of you - thank you.  I'll send you a P.M. as soon as I'm done posting this.

I have just finished aligning the SRF-59 and thought I'd write down a couple of thoughts in case they are of use to anyone undertaking the same.  The existing notes out there on the procedure are excellent  and I can only offer the following snippets from my own experience:

1.  During dis-assembly I removed the screws and then used my finger nails to part the clamshell case at the bottom of the radio.  This creates enough space between the two halves to use a plastic library/store/credit/phone card to pry the rest of the case open in a manner that is not particularly alarming!

2.  I normally use my MFJ-259B antenna analyzer as a signal generator, but it doesn't go down low enough.  The next recourse was my Yaesu FT-817ND with the power cranked well down into the mW range in the service menu, but again no dice.  I the end, having only time and space to grab the smallest amount of kit from the shack on the way past, I picked up my faithful old Lafayette Grid Dip Oscillator.  I am fortunate to have a Tecsun PL-660 on loan from Matt G8XYJ so I zero beated the GDO to this and then aligned the SRF-59 to the GDO.  Its not rocket science but it might just be the memory-jogger someone reading this might need to dust off that poor neglected GDO in the cupboard!

3.  Aligning the "big tooth" on the tuning capacitor wheel works a treat during reassembly.  I found it easiest to do by adjusting the orange plastic strip so that the big notch is roughly in the middle of the tuning knob aperture in the case, where you will get the best line of sight for lining up the big tooth on the tuning knob.  If things aren't going to line up you should try removing the tuning knob from the capacitor, rotating it through 180 degrees and replacing it.

73 all - Happy DXmas de Dave.

---In ultralightdx@{{emailDomain}}, <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

<<<   I  was all set to make the necessary arrangements to purchase a '39FP from you, when my car battery AND my armchair went kaput!  Might have to hold fire till another pay day rolls round before I buy any more radios!  That particular radio is rarer than hen's teeth over this side of the pond, and a "DeBock special" surely is the Crème de la crème.   >>>

Well, Dave, I really wasn't looking for any $$ from you. Just me a private message with your address in the U.K., and the new SRF-39FP will be on its way across the Pond (it's already aligned to cover 530-1700 kHz). And Vimal in India, I have you covered as well-- another new SRF-39FP has turned up. Just send me your shipping address in PA.

Besides the other three models going to the Canadians from John Bryant's estate, though, I'm sorry that I don't have any more of these SRF-39FP's.

<<<   Thanks also for all of the articles you've put out there - they're keeping me busy as I steadily munch my way through them.   >>>

Thanks for your comment, Dave. I hope that the New Year will exceed your DX-pectations!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Many thanks for all the details!  I'm hoping to swing by the shack tomorrow and align the '59 accordingly.  I was all set to make the necessary arrangements to purchase a '39FP from you, when my car battery AND my armchair went kaput!  Might have to hold fire till another pay day rolls round before I buy any more radios!  That particular radio is rarer than hen's teeth over this side of the pond, and a "DeBock special" surely is the Crème de la crème.

Thanks also for all of the articles you've put out there - they're keeping me busy as I steadily munch my way through them.

73 de Dave.