Re: Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antennas in 2006?

Gary DeBock

<<<   Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.   >>>

Thanks, Bruce.

The main question for west coast TP (and DU) chasers is whether or not the ocean cliff sites provide enough of a propagation boost to enable very small-footprint antennas like the FSL's (and Mark's micro-Superloop) to outperform much larger antennas at sea level (like the DKAZ, Flag, Superloop and beverages) in weak-signal transoceanic DX reception. There really isn't any reason for Perseus-SDR DXers to spend the time and $$ to develop effective Broadband FSL's (and face the challenges of cliff-side DXing) if they can enjoy the same (or superior) DXing results with their larger antennas at sea level beaches.

The concurrent DU-DXpeditions on the Oregon coast last July provided the first solid evidence that ocean cliff-sited Tunable FSL's could indeed outperform large single-loop wire antennas at sea level, at least on the low-band frequencies (this fact was agreed upon in private correspondence among the participants, after the DXpeditions). Unfortunately the current Broadband FSL models have nowhere near the DXing sensitivity of the Tunable FSL models, which can optimize one single frequency to work well with Ultralight radios, but not with the Perseus-SDR receivers (in their typical spectrum-capture mode). Consequently there is interest among the Perseus-SDR users in the FSL antenna's potential, but somewhat of a "wait-and-see" attitude to see if a Broadband FSL model can be developed which will provide a transoceanic DXing breakthrough at the ocean cliff sites (like the Tunable FSL's appear to have already done, at least on the low band frequencies). The main question at this point is whether or not such a Broadband FSL antenna is technically feasible, and if so, who will devote the necessary time and resources to develop it.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

-----Original Message-----
To: ultralightdx
Sent: Mon, Dec 23, 2013 11:54 am
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antennas in 2006?

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 1:41 AM, <D1028Gary@...> wrote:
...after spending over $1 K on the project (mainly to benefit Perseus-SDR DXers), I think it's time that a few others contributed some time and resources to the effort. Alternatively, when two new Tunable FSL designs (15" and 18") are completed this winter, they may prove effective enough in ocean cliff DXing to motivate the SDR DXers to get serious about trying out some new Broadband FSL ideas...

I've tried some experiments in my spare time, although it's not a priority here with terminated loop antennas already performing well.  Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.  Anyway, my experiments have been with a single ferrite loopstick which keeps the monetary investment low.  I assume that if I can widen the bandwidth using a single loopstick, then it would be a relatively simple matter to transfer the design to a higher gain FSL.

--
Bruce Conti
B.A.Conti Photography www.baconti.com
¡BAMLog! www.bamlog.com

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.