From: Michael
To: ultralightdx
Sent: Fri, Nov 8, 2013 1:07 pm
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] RE: RE: Matching transformer for PL-380

----- Original Message ----- From: n3ikq

There is no external antenna input on the PL-380. The DSP chip needs
an inductor for AM/LW and a whip/wire for SW. The details are in
the documentation at Silicone Labs website.

I carefully (!) soldered a LW coil on a longer ferrite rod with
parallel tuning capacitor in lieu of the internal ferrite antenna.

The internal and external tuning capacity co-existed, with
the internal self-adjusting to optimise the total capacitance.
Without the additional external variable capacitor, the
internal capacitance auto-range was not sufficient for
the whole LW band as the inductance did not match
the automatic tuning facility as well as the internal
ferrite winding designed for the purpose, but which
is optimised for 540-1600kHz and less effective on LW.

I used the same external L/C adjacent to the
internal L/C with comparable results. This is doubtless
the safer approach. The hard-wired version produced
better S/N, so would be warranted for optimal performance,
as in Gary's latest posting (We avidly await part 2!)

Michael