Re: UltraLight MediumWave DataBase

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the reply Guy, I have just downloaded that and will have a look at it. I might get some ideas for my own program from it.

Paul

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM, thinkdx <dx@...> wrote:

On the subject of databases for DX purposes,  back in 2000 some of us West Coast DXers started using a simple but very useful "flat file" database called B-Log. It was written by Tom Lackamp, AB9B.

Among our group of DXers, this little program became the preferred way to track loggings. I particularly like B-Log's ability to format text file (ASCII) output suitable for a couple of different reporting styles ("UTE Export", "SWL Export", and "MW Export" buttons). We worked with B-Log's author to help him set up the export buttons for acceptable formatting of the selected loggings for the NASWA Journal (SWL) and for the IRCA mailing list (MW). (I can't recall what we used as the standard for the UTE Export.)

B-Log does not write any data to the Windows Registry, which helps keep B-Log simple, transportable, and useful even today, 13 years later.

A brief review of B-Log is published in this article:  http://www.dxing.info/articles/hitech.dx

Although B-Log's web page hasn't been live for years, it still exists via the Archive.org service:

What's more, the actual ZIP file of the B-Log program is still available: Download B-Log V1.1 - "B-Log-V1r1.zip" - 534 kBytes

I still use B-Log for shortwave loggings, and occasionally for MW loggings & reports too. It runs great under many different flavors of MS Windows.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA