From: Paul
To: ultralightdx
Sent: Sat, Nov 2, 2013 6:45 pm
Subject: [ultralightdx] Loggings: 2/11/2013 (First international station)

Last night was my first time using my new Tecsun PL-606 ultra light radio and AN-200 loop antenna, the results of this combination were simply amazing. I was expecting some good results but nothing like what I found once I started tuning the band with it.

After getting to grip with how the PL-606 works and checking some local frequencies I started searching the band. The low end of the band was sounding fairly normal and all the frequencies I normally hear were coming in loud and clear, it was not until I hit around 945kHz that I started to log some new stations, this continued until the top of the band. In the end I logged 12 new Australian stations, not a bad effort for an hour.

Once I reached the top of the band I started working my way back down when on 1386kHz I could hear a weak signal, this frequency is not used in Australian at all and it was not bleed over from any other frequency, the programming also didn't sound like anything I had ever heard. I checked my NZ medium wave frequency list and found a station name for this frequency. At this point I moved in to a different room and I was able to get clear enough audio to be able to understand what was being said. A quick check of their webpage with an online stream and I can confirm my first international DX catch on medium wave :)

Overall it was a very enjoyable couple of hours and my first international DX catch was icing on the cake. My Tecsun PL-606 and loop aerial really worked well and I can see myself logging many more stations with them.

New Stations:
837 - 7XS - Queenstown - TAS - Commercial - 500
945 - 4HI - Dysart - QLD - Commercial - 1000
972 - 5PB - Adelaide - SA - National - 2000
999 - 2NB - Broken Hill - NSW - National - 2000
999 - 2ST - Nowra - NSW - Commercial - 5000
1098 - 4LG - Longreach - QLD - Commercial - 2000
1134 - 2AD - Armidale - NSW - Commercial - 2000
1161 - 5PA - Naracoorte - SA - National - 10000
1206 - 2GF - Grafton - NSW - Commercial - 5000
1359 - Mildura/Sunraysia - VIC - HPON - 200
1386 - Radio Tarana (Indian) - AUCKLAND - I-NZ - Commercial - 1200
1476 - Penrith - NSW - HPON - 180
1584 - 2EC - Narooma - NSW - Commercial - 200

Full Loggings: http://ulmwdx.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/loggings-2112013.html