The E100 was really a slightly modified Tecsun PL-200, so Eton was really at the mercy of Tecsun (a giant Chinese electronics mfg.) as to when to discontinue the E100.  I just found this morning that the E1100 $60 replacement radio is also a dressed up Tecsun.  Both have about the same case as the E100, but without numeric keypad entry. The E1100 may well be an excellent Ultralight... and the E100 was one of the few with direct numerical entry, so maybe all is not lost... if the E1100 measures up.

Time will tell.

John B.

At 07:58 AM 4/23/2008 -0700, you wrote:

Don't forget the similar, but larger E10 model, which is a hot performer also. It's size perhaps takes it out of UL status, yet it has a lot of good things going for it.  The radio has TWO bandwidths, including a very effective narrow filter (actually there are two narrow filters to choose from in addition to wide...one is 455 kHz IF, so it's a candidate for a mods). Factory refurbs of the E10 are selling for $29.99 at Fry's stores (I don't know if they are available on the Fry's Web site for that price).

73, Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: ultralightdx@... [ mailto:ultralightdx@...]On Behalf Of D1028Gary@...
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:47 PM
To: ultralightdx@...
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] E100 may be On The Way OUT!

Hello Guys,

     This was very surprising news, but it now seems a reality.  The E100 was the best digital Ultralight I've ever tested for selectivity, and its sensitivity (after full alignment, which always improves the low band greatly on those models with a movable loopstick coil) is superior to any other Ultralight on the high band, and just a shade lower than the SRF-T615 on the low band.

     If you have interest in this model, it's recommended that you act quickly to nail one down, even at the price of $80 to $100.  They are fully worth it, and the Ultralight enthusiasts may not see another such full-featured pocket radio for a long time to come.

     It's a shame they are being discontinued, as I personally had plans to hot-rod this model with super loopsticks, as an ideal digital DX platform.  It also has a 455 kHz IF, which makes it suitable for conventional IF filter selectivity modifications.  Along with the highly competitive SRF-T615, its value as an Ultralight DXpedition portable is unsurpassed.  So if you would like one of these exceptional units, it's time to search around.

                                                                    73,  Gary

.