From what I understand after talking with Tao Qu and other Chinese friends, the Tecsun and Degen companies have the same ownership, although they attempt to maintain completely separate identities.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Gardner <ceo@...>
To: ultralightdx <ultralightdx@...>
Sent: Sun, Oct 13, 2013 7:06 am
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] RE: Inside DEGEN DE321 & its QC concerns

Hi Andy,

When I visited Tecsun's Hong Kong corporate office a few years back, I bought 2
Tecsun PL-380's and a Degen DE1123. They had lots of Degen products on display.

Cheers,

Andy
ZL3APG

On 14/10/2013, at 2:53 AM, <outerseoul1988@...> wrote: > > Mr Gardner, > > I don't believe that Degen and Tecsun are the same company. The company names and locations are different: Tecsun in Dongguan and Degen in Shenzhen. > > > > However, Kaide and Kchibo (who make "cheap" and poor SW radios) are either the same company or the highly afflicted manufacturers to each other, though. > > > > # Additional Information > > Sony doesn't directly produce their radios by their own factories. Rather, Sony radios are manufactured by an affiliated company based in Japan, namely Towada Audio. "Made in Japan" Sony radios (e.g. ICF-SW7600GR) are produced in a factory in Akita Prefecture, Japan, and "Made in China" Sony radios (e.g ICF-S10MK2 and SRF-59) are produced in a factory in Dongguan City, Guangdong Province, China. > > > > Andy Lee, Seoul > > > > ---In ultralightdx@..., <ceo@...> wrote: > > I'm pretty sure Degen and Tecsun are one and the same. Maybe they use different factories for different products? > > Andy > ZL3APG > > On 14/10/2013, at 2:09 AM, <outerseoul1988@...> wrote: > > > [Attachment(s) from outerseoul1988@... included below] > > I disassembled one of the two Degen DE321 in my own and I found out that the tuning is done by a ordinary (cheap) carbon variable resistor! (see the attached photo) I doubt how durable the component might be. > > > > > > Also, Degen might be weaker quality control than Tecsun or Sony. My first DE321 tuning pointer indicates at around 675kHz when receiving 711kHz HLKA (KBS Radio 1 Seoul), while the second one's indicates at around 800kHz when receiving the same broadcast. In addition, the sound from the built-in speaker is slightly different. The speaker sound from the second one is slightly richer. > > > > I heard that QC problems sometimes occur at DE1103, etc. Degen produces radios that are inexpensive, still cheerful in performance like Tesun does, but Degen should make more efforts on QC. > > > > Regards, > > > > Andy Lee from Seoul > > > > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ultralightdx/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ultralightdx/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: ultralightdx-digest@... ultralightdx-fullfeatured@... <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: ultralightdx-unsubscribe@... <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/