Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-28

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

It was a slightly different cast of "big gun" TP's producing vibrant audio here this morning, but the overall mediocre results were about the same as those reported by Bruce and Nick. Several second-tier Chinese stations made it out of the noise briefly on 918, 927, 936 and 981, but their signal levels were far from inspiring. The CRI stations on 963, 1017 and 1044 weren't much better. Overall it was a pretty average morning, with the exception of the steady back yard rain (which made outdoor FSL-based DXing pretty miserable).

Like Bruce, I had a good strength 828-JOBB at 1326, and a good strength 594-JOAK at the same time. And like Nick, I had 603-HLSA with its female ballad around 1354. 972-HLCA was vibrant here also, as in Seattle and Victoria. Seemingly unlike the other two DXers, though, I had the 1053-Jammer as my strongest TP of the morning, maxing out the PL-380 S/N display at 1348 (for the first time this season). 639-CNR1 was also a late visitor with fair-good audio around 1355, but never reached the huge level observed briefly yesterday. The general lack of strong and diverse TP signals makes it fairly easy to give the "Victoria" reporting format another test run:

Pretty darn good audio (all of it understandable by a native speaker,
at least briefly):

594  JOAK   Japanese conversation at 1327UT
828  JOBB   Japanese male speech at 1326UT
1053  Korean Jammer   Pegging the PL-380 S/N readout with a monster
         signal at 1348UT; strongest TP of the morning here

Reasonable audio  at  times during the period (much of it
understandable by a native speaker, though often battling w/splash or noise):

603  HLSA   Female vocal music at 1354UT; weak Chinese co-channel
639  CNR1  Fair-good peak late at 1355UT with female-male speech (news?);
         KFI splatter had faded out late in the session

747  JOIB  Japanese speech at 1336UT
774  JOUB   In and out with good audio under Seattle 770 splatter
972  HLCA   Good Korean male-female speech at 1352UT; minor 970 splatter

1134  KBS  Korean female speech around 1337UT
1287  JOHR  Japanese male conversation 1346UT

Not so reasonable audio, occasional words or phrases in splash or
noise could be understood by a native speaker:
657  Pyongyang  Korean male tirade in the noise at 1313UT
1017  CRI  Korean service up and down around 1330UT
1044  CRI  Some syllables of Japanese around 1345UT
1566  HLAZ  Getting lost in the 1560 local splatter this morning
1575  VOA   Asiatic language speech in and out around 1320UT

Burbles in the splatter and noise (if lucky, language might be
guessed at by cadence of talk, or parallel established by changes in
talk or music) :

918   Chinese speech poor at 1315UT
927   Threshold Chinese audio 1319UT
936   Poor music at 1333UT; Anhui?

Strongish het, no or "near imaginary"audio (either undermodulated or
ravaged by splatter):

558, 648, 666, 693, 873, 963, 981

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
7.5" loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight +
12" Medium Wave FSL antenna