Connecting Sony SRF-XX to outdoor antenna for improved FM reception?

Joseph Fan

I would like to connect my Sony SRF-86 to the home external antenna to improve FM reception.

Hardware:

Radio - It looks like the 3.5mm TRS jack sleeve (outer ring) is the ground and can be used for an external antenna
http://www.fixup.net/tips/srfs83/srfs83.htm

3.5mm Stereo Splitter -
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042901&p_id=7205&seq=1&format=2

Balun 300ohm-75ohm -
http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/84/Tvbalun.jpg

Antenna Wall Jack - F-Type 75 Ohm
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10426&cs_id=1042605&p_id=6543&seq=1&format=2

The idea was:

Antenna Wall Jack -> Balun -> 3.5mm Stereo Splitter jack A (Outer ring)
Headphones -> 3.5mm Stereo Splitter jack B

But...taking one copper wire from either terminal of the Balun to the Radio's outer TRS "ring" just seems to increase static noise.

Any suggestions?

What would you do with this "hardware" to improve FM reception?