Re: Cape Perpetua (Oregon Cliff) DXpedition- Top Ten Signals from the South Pacific

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

After listening to your recordings from the Cape Perpetua cliff, I was left shaking my head in amazement. As you know, I was DXing at the very same spot one morning during the "Deja-Vu" Yachats DXpedition in July, using one of your 12-inch FSL antennas, but in "broadband" mode. I noted the presence of signals on most of the frequencies you recorded, but-- as Nick Hall-Patch would describe them-- they were "not so reasonable audio, occasional words or phrases in splash or noise that could be understood by a native speaker" or simply "burbles in the splatter and noise". Only a couple frequencies occasionally reached the level of even your poorest recordings.

Unfortunately, the "freakish" DU signal boost at the ocean cliffs isn't enough to compensate for the broadband FSL's apparent deafness on the weakest of signals-- DUs coming from thousands of miles away. The effective gain of the tuned, resonant "circuit" of the single frequency (capacitor tuned) FSL is really incredible, as your recordings prove.

I look forward to working with you this fall and winter to try and solve this dilemma. Whether FSL-based or not, the goal is to find a very compact antenna that will have the gain and S/N needed to allow a SDR radio to record the entire band at the Oregon cliffs, where reception is "repeatedly amazing".

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA