Re: Gordon's Hand Capacitance With the SRF Series of Sony Radios

josephrot

Gordon...

Having seen your latter situation (we have already discussed the first), here's what we had to do on so far, oh, maybe three of the perzact same problems I have seen:

<< My chain link fence in the front yard serves as an antenna that re-radiates noise as well. I was coming into the yard while listening to short wave. Opening the gate caused static crashes on sw. Putting the radio down ten feet away and opening the fence caused the same effect. Shy of removing the fence I have no idea what to do about this. >>

One or more proved to be our problem, and the fix "worked":

1. Fences AND gates are famous for the metal posts being sunk in concrete, or the metal parts being connected to wood posts, and the concrete (or wood) insulates the fence (and gate) from the earth ground system. Thus, this explains why lighting strikes your fence say 1 mile away (OK, so it's a long fence), that travels down to you, or your house or a nearby tree and blows the h*** out of everything.

OK, so we ran a properly (deep) sunk ground rod next to the fence, and ran a ground wire to the fence AND ALSO to the gate. This way, you don't have to violate the concrete (or wood) that was likely used in gate or fence construction, and you properly ground the gate and fence.

2. Lube the gate hinges with thick, staying power lube, be it thick silicone or lithium. This will minimize, maybe 100% stop, the electrical "activity" that is clearly affecting your receivers as the gate hinge moves about its work. Don't forget the gate ground wire idea.

3. On the fence and gate, if there's some nasty rusted-out areas that are creating electrical havoc, one SHOULD use some fresh rust converter, make it black, let dry and paint to seal out weather and stuff. If it's too rusted, replace it.

Of the three recent cases that I have seen, two required BOTH solves 1 and 2 above to work great, the other required #1 only, but we eventually came back and did #2 later. All three had a bit of #3, by the way, and we solved that later as well.

Joe

--- In ultralightdx@..., Gordon wrote:

Dear Joe et al:

I am located a half mile from an AM station (1490) which indeed overloads the front end of all my radios. I tune to minimize the signal, and didn't notice hand capacitance until I moved into the new QTH in August of last year. I'll travel a few miles out and repeat the experiment and see if the hand capacitance is as strong.

My chain link fence in the front yard serves as an antenna that re-radiates noise as well. I was coming into the yard while listening to short wave. Opening the gate caused static crashes on sw. Putting the radio down ten feet away and opening the fence caused the same effect. Shy of removing the fence I have no idea what to do about this.
Gordon Cooper
Bremerton WA