Re: Gary DeBock's New Monster FSL Antenna

Gary DeBock

Hello Guy (and Joe/toptyp19, Rob, Maurits, Joe/JRTENN, and John)

Thank you all very much for your comments on my Monster FSL antenna-- first tested back in the early 1900's.

Unfortunately, initial testing around 1905 on the Oregon cliffs was not successful-- mainly because there were no Australian or New Zealand AM stations broadcasting at the time. Transportation of the monster antenna through the cliffside forests was enough to make five mule teams go on strike (there was no Highway 101 yet). not to mention the possibility of airborne mules flying into the Drink during the November windstorms. The conclusion was made that superior ferrite material was needed... but since the Red Army (and the massive ferrite rod stocks) had yet to be created in 1905, it was necessary to shelve the project for about a century-- until DX-crazed capitalists like me finally gained access to superior ferrite material.

Seriously, there are some new FSL's under development here this winter, Guy--- but nothing quite so legendary! Since the standard-sized FSL's were already receiving  low-powered Kiwi stations at near-overload levels on the Cliffs last summer, it seems kind of excessive to increase antenna gain to the point of front-end crunching.  On the other hand, I've always wondered how the Cliffs would boost DU signals if someone could DX right in front of a straight 90-degree angle rock face, with no road turnoff underneath. If I had one of these innovative inventions, it might be possible to find out! 

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

-----Original Message-----
To: ultralightdx
Sent: Thu, Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm
Subject: [ultralightdx] Gary DeBock's New Monster FSL Antenna

My Puyallup DXing pal Gary is always building "bigger is better" versions of his loop antennas. I think he outdid himself this time! 

An Ebay seller is offering an exclusive photo taken during the construction phase:

Gary plans to straddle his new Ferrite Sleeve Loop antenna across the backs of two sturdy mules while DXing. Good luck keeping them still when you're trying to null a local pest station, Gary!

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.