Re: BOO HOO POWERLINE NOISE SWAMPING MY NEIGHBORHOOD!

d4g7johnson

I've tried easy non-destructive approaches. Power line filters
actually made the noise worse. Hard to tell if multiple ferrite
beads help any. Bypass capacitors on the output did not help.
One thing that helped a little was grounding the coax connector
(on the plate where the coax enters the house) to the ground pin
of the same outlet the power supply is plugged into.

One good thing about my powerline LF and BCB noise is that it has
a strong directionality that changes with location in my house.
I can usually find a spot somewhere in my house that will null out
the noise in any particular direction, but it does get tiresome
having to walk and tune at the same time.

For those not familiar with this FIOS setup, they provide a two-
box implementation of a UPS: a 48VDC power supply, and a box with
a 12V battery plus inverter. The inverter is NOT the problem,
which is easily proved by pulling the power cord which also kills
the noise. And like you, I also have lots of noise in the LF band
but not on every channel.

--- In ultralightdx@..., Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...> wrote:

You're lucky. My FIOS supply puts out lots of interference on MW & LW. The only way around that is to null the noise or get farther away from it. It's not consistent though - some channels are better than others. It does appear that a moderate signal level will override it many times.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>