Re: Tecsun PL-600 Birdie

ferrite61 <dxrx@...>

Most <$1000 radios have this problem... but its not really a problem. You are losing a total of 2 NDB's on 450kHz. The other nearest ones are 440kHz and 492kHz. As I posted earlier, you can use this to center the BFO by tuning 454 and 456kHz and adjusting the fine tuning wheel until the pitch is the same on both frequencies.

I really don't see this as make/break purchase.

Paul S. in CT

--- In ultralightdx@..., "d4g7johnson" <d4g7johnson@...> wrote:

I thought it was common for <$1000 radios to use 455KHZ
I.F. (even if they are dual conversion and have another
higher I.F. frequency). Then if there is I.F. leakage
back into the RF input stage you will get oscillation
at about 455KHZ. The Radio Shack DX-440 is an prime
example of this, made worse by being single-conversion.
I don't have a PL-600 to compare, but it sounds like the
exact same problem.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Lasse No" <lasse.radio@> wrote:

I just got a PL-600 and while tuning it on the LW band I came across a severe birdie between 450-460 kHz. Is this what to expect from a cheap chineze radio? I'm not too happy with my radio, so I wonder if it could be one of those that QC missed...

I have a video that shows this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_23b2oyujE&feature=plcp

Regards

Lasse