Re: Upcoming Trip to Big Island of Hawaii - Any DX Tips?

kugellagers

Thank you Gary for pointing me in the right direction!

I will certainly try to do a morning Dx session. I will see how my jetlag affects me.

John
];')

Hi John,

<<< @ Gary
Do you have just a list (like word or excel or text)of your recent
DXpedition Pacific NDBs and MW station log? I thought there might be
one somewhere online but I may have been thinking of something else. I
would like to add/supplement my DX target list with yours. I think I
might have a better chance at grabbing some of SP stations/NDBs these
given the quiet and closr location.
Thanks, John ];') >>>

A list of the 12 Alaskan, 2 Hawaiian and 3 South Pacific NDB's received
during the recent Oregon Cliff DXpedition (along with MP3 links) is
pasted below. The dates and times of reception (in UTC) are encoded on
the MP3 file names posted in MediaFire. You should have a reasonable
chance of receiving several of these Longwave beacons on the Big Island
if you can DX just prior to sunrise, but since the South Pacific NDB's
have tricky propagation, it's a tossup each morning as to whether they
will make an appearance. If they do, they are never very strong on
Ultralight radios, and will usually drop out like a rock after about 5
minutes of weak code. Sometimes the west coast NDB-DXers like Steve and
Don will hear them on a morning when Mike Tuggle in Hawaii can't get
them at all. Weird!

The full Medium Wave DXpedition report (including a detailed list of
the 16 New Zealand, 15 Australian,1 Tahitian and 1 Fijian loggings
with MP3 recording links) has been posted at
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?nk9tlf95t0b2m14

I hope that these will prove useful during your trip, and good luck!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

180- Radio Rossii (Yelizovo, Russia) Another LWBC station dropping
down into the noise because of solar activity
http://www.mediafire.com/?501y10ha75p2eeq

209-CYT (Yakataga, ALS) Best signals ever heard from this TWEB
beacon, which seems to have improved its antenna system
http://www.mediafire.com/?icdb5bwdpi4pdnr

212-CGL (Coghland Island, ALS) Heard for the first time during any
ocean beach trip, and never heard at home. Usually weak
http://www.mediafire.com/?uddxssi38xyi3ge

219-GAV (Gustavus, ALS) Alaska panhandle beacon at typical strength
during this ocean beach trip
http://www.mediafire.com/?84ave8pqaq5gd5u

233-ALS (Johnstone Island, ALS) Alaskan super beacon with typical
booming signals, this time without any 234-Rossii competition
http://www.mediafire.com/?xv9qqqg7pfkrrki

238-KT (Waimanoni-Awanui, New Zealand) This beacon was received
barely above the noise level on the exceptional morning of 7-19 at
1216Z, and was a new long distance record for Ultralight NDB-DXing
reception (6,738 miles, or 10,843 km). Reception was possible only
because of the demise of semi-local 236-HQ since the last DXpedition.
Sensitive headphones recommended
http://www.mediafire.com/?m9urjoqxzjj3ev0

260-NF (Puppy's Point, Norfolk Island, Australia) Another very long
range South Pacific beacon (6,627 miles, or 10,664 km), it was received
twice during this trip at decent strength, including on the exceptional
morning of 7-19
http://www.mediafire.com/?6c4rfhb4vrqumdh

266-ICK (Annette Island, ALS) Strong Alaskan panhandle beacon which
is usually the second most vibrant NDB from the state at home
http://www.mediafire.com/?mf6d191bq1a2p0y

270-FA (Faleolo IAP, Apia, Upolu Island, Samoa) The third South
Pacific NDB received during this trip, it was heard on two different
days at decent strength (5,012 miles, or 8,065 km)
http://www.mediafire.com/?iqv8f63ez1zkomc

279- Radio Rossii (Yuzhno-Sakahlinsk, Russia) Usual LWBC blowtorch on
the Oregon ocean coast had its awesome signals tamed a little bit by
the mediocre solar conditions
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1kvxvhvhnuadcv

283-DUT (Dutch Harbor, ALS) Transmitting from the remote home base of
the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" program, this long range
Alaskan beacon put in fair signals on most days
http://www.mediafire.com/?14va6e06oj7l238

332-POA (Puhoa, Hawaii) One of the highlights of this trip was
recording this MP3 of the distant Hawaiian beacon (usually Hawaiian #2
on the west coast) kicking the semi-local pest 332-LBH way down into
second place
http://www.mediafire.com/?6v8g1l6f63lodvl

353-LLD (Lanai, Hawaii) The strongest Hawaiian beacon had its usual
thundering signal, and was a nice propagation indicator for the South
Pacific NDB's
http://www.mediafire.com/?t7zm3v82v5qm17u

358-SIT (Sitka, ALS) Strong Alaskan TWEB beacon despite Canadian DAID
NDB interference, it usually boomed in on the cliff
http://www.mediafire.com/?srrskug93a8siln

385-OCC (Yakutat, ALS) Usually fighting it out with Canadian super
beacon WL on most mornings, this TWEB beacon occasionally got the upper
hand
http://www.mediafire.com/?y86h12lp8wo14yi

390-HBT (Sand Point, ALS) Long range Alaskan beacon would typically
fade in just before sunrise, then was quickly gone
http://www.mediafire.com/?q8inun54wcbndog

391-EEF (Sisters Island, ALS) Alaska panhandle beacon occasionally
put in great signals despite its crowded frequency
http://www.mediafire.com/?u66d53p5ba2n5pg

394-RWO (Kodiak, ALS) Alaskan TWEB beacon with occasional good
strength, it fought it out with Canadian DQ on most mornings
http://www.mediafire.com/?q5tlzr95toonc97

529-UnID TWEB (ALS) Presumed to be SQM because of the more frequent
reports, Alaskan FDV is also on the frequency. Unable to dig a code ID
out of the TWEB broadcast because of the domestic TIS splatter from
530 kHz during the recording
http://www.mediafire.com/?67838f6jc72fu4x