Re: Upcoming Trip to Big Island of Hawaii - Any DX Tips?

Guy Atkins

When I spent a week on the island of Rarotonga in 1993, SW & MW reception was sadly very poor the entire time. I had hoped to snag Niue which is about 650 mi. distant, but not even a peep out of it. I would hear the stronger Sydney and Melbourne MW outlets for a few hours each night but at a mediocre level, and I occasionally caught 738 Tahiti but also at a poor to fair level. I tried various random wires 100-150 feet in length, with the Grundig Satellit 500 and smaller portables I had along for the trip, but results were the same with every combination.

I found it hard to blame the results on poor propagation for an entire week. In correspondence with Patrick Martin in Oregon after the trip, he speculated that the highly volcanic soil affected reception, as he'd heard of someone else encountering the same thing from "Raro". However, I've read about others who had much better luck. This compilation article by Paul Ormandy highlights visits made by various DXers to Rarotonga:  http://radiodx.com/nzrdxl/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=296   (includes my own investigation on the disappearance of R. Cook Islands from the SW bands).

So, maybe it was just lousy conditions all of that week in "paradise", rather than a QTH on an island of lava rock?  Hmm... I think I need to make a return trip to investigate further  :^)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA