Re: 2012 Cape Perpetua (Oregon) Cliff DXpedition Video

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

"Day Use Only"... that's not what I wanted to hear! Well, perhaps if I go there at the first hint of daylight, I can claim that early dawn is the start of a new day

I agree with you that days on the Oregon coast can start out dismal and drenching, or at least very foggy. I remember last year how my notebook paper curled up from the heavy fog and the ink from my pen blurred so much I couldn't read some of the frequencies I had written down. Next time I'll be prepared; the pens and papers from www.riteintherain.com are made just for these sort of nasty weather situations. Their products are even sold in Puyallup (Sportman's Emporium).

Despite the Day Use Only sign, I doubt a ranger would be checking up there at 5 a.m., given the dead end road and the remote location. Your run-in with the police in Lincoln City was at a city park along the main highway, wasn't it?

I'm curious of course to see if any difference can be noted at the higher elevation. The way to do it right would be to have another DXer at the highway location below, using the same radio and antenna setup at the same time.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA