From: Rick Robinson <w4dst@...>
To: ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:33:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Bigger Loopstick for Tecsun PL 390 Series Radios

On 5/11/2012 7:11 PM, D1028Gary@... wrote:

(single coil split into three sections) as in the Si4734
chip Ultralight radios like the PL-310, PL-380 and PL-606).
Gary or anyone else,
Is there a logical explanation for the "split 3" windings on these ferrite bars?  I took the bar out of one of my PL-380s and rewound it with a slightly larger litz wire using the same inductance but wound up with a much wider coil, roughly 75% of the length of the bar.  There is a measurable increase in signal sensitivity compared to my strictly stock PL-380.  It just seems like an odd way of winding an antenna.

Rick