Re: ULR DX Season winding down.........

Gary DeBock

Thanks Guy,

Yes, chasing South Pacific AM-DX in the middle of summer probably
sounds pretty weird-- at least until someone tries it out (and gets
hooked). Strangely enough, both the Ultralight AM-DXing distance record
(from North America) and the Ultralight NDB-DXing distance record
(worldwide) were set during this type of bizarre DXing on the west
coast-- right in the middle of summer.

<<< Besides the potential for reception of Australia and New Zealand,
summer time DXing from the Washington and Oregon coast has the
advantage of much more pleasant weather. It makes up for the misery of
the cold, drizzle, and sometimes sideways rain when DXing at Pacific
Northwest beaches in the winter and spring. >>>

Well, your dedication to set up in the Grayland yurts during all kinds
of foul weather probably gives you a unique perspective on coastal
DXing, Guy. As I recall, you even went through an earthquake in one of
the recent Grayland sessions. Fair-weather DXers (like me) could
probably learn a lot from your determination.

<<< I have DXed every month of the year multiple times at the coast
since I started going on DXpeditions in 1987-88. In my opinion, every
month has potential for DX; it's a non-stop "DX season". Even when the
solar cycle is not favorable (like right now), there's always hope that
an interesting or unusual DX catch will surface. If not, well, you can
try antenna experiments, compare different receivers, or investigate
other radio related pursuits. >>>

Yes, last year the Solar Cycle usually didn't cooperate very well with
our DXpedition agendas, did it? It's always been the luck of the draw,
but recently the deck seems stacked against us. Fortunately South
Pacific DX is less dependent on solar cooperation than Asiatic TP
propagation (according to Chuck, and other experts).

<<< BTW Gary, wish me luck next week as I return t o Grayland on the
6th through the 9th. Your 7-inch FSL antenna will be part of the
DXpedition supplies :^) >>>

Thanks for taking the 7" FSL along, and good luck in Grayland next
week, Guy. You certainly can't do any worse than we did in our May 2008
(one-night) Dxpedition, when we received nothing except curious stares
from the clam diggers :-)

73, Gary

You have a delightful and accurate way of describing the excitement of
DU DXing!

[...]

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA  USA

A weird quirk in propagation makes summer the best time to chase
South
Pacific AM and Longwave DX on Pacific Ocean beaches, and I wish that
you could both experience the thrill of how the bands miraculously
change from static-filled wastelands into DXing paradises for a few
short hours around sunrise on high cliffs overlooking the Pacific
surf.
If you hit it just right, Australia and New Zealand can both boom in
like locals, right in the middle of July and August.

When John Bryant first told me about this, it sounded like science
fiction... but if anything, he was understating the excitement. The
new
FSL antennas (high gain and highly portable) have made Ultralight
radios pretty competitive DU-DXing machines on their frequency of
choice, and unlike multi-element arrays or beverages, they can be set
up on the highest of cliffs. Recently-developed models have the gain
of
a 9-foot box loop crammed into one cubic foot of space, with a
"footprint" of only one cubic yard (on their 5' PVC bases). I wish
that
both of you could enjoy at least one of these Summer Supercharged
DXing
sessions... you might change your attitude about the season :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)