Re: ULR DX Season winding down.........

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

You have a delightful and accurate way of describing the excitement of DU DXing!

Besides the potential for reception of Australia and New Zealand, summer time DXing from the Washington and Oregon coast has the advantage of much more pleasant weather. It makes up for the misery of the cold, drizzle, and sometimes sideways rain when DXing at Pacific Northwest beaches in the winter and spring.

I have DXed every month of the year multiple times at the coast since I started going on DXpeditions in 1987-88. In my opinion, every month has potential for DX; it's a non-stop "DX season". Even when the solar cycle is not favorable (like right now), there's always hope that an interesting or unusual DX catch will surface. If not, well, you can try antenna experiments, compare different receivers, or investigate other radio related pursuits.

BTW Gary, wish me luck next week as I return to Grayland on the 6th through the 9th.  Your 7-inch FSL antenna will be part of the DXpedition supplies  :^)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA  USA