Re: G6, E100, DT-200VX sensitivity comparison

Gary DeBock

Hello Gary,

     Thanks for your detailed comparison testing of the G6, E100, and DT-200VX.  Although there is no G6 here, your findings of the relative sensitivity of the E100 and DT-200VX confirm my own testing, done for the Shootout articles on DXer.Ca.

     The low-band sensitivity weakness of the E100 has been well documented, and is entirely due to the tiny, flat stock loopstick. It was the major reason for the development of the Slider loopstick modification during the summer, which completely solved the problem.

     The DT-200VX also has a sensitivity limitation on either high or low band, depending upon which segment the alignment technician wishes to favor (on yours, it is apparently weak on low band).  A DT-200VX unit also had a Slider loopstick transplanted into it here recently, which made it equally sensitive with the Slider E100's all across the AM band (although much trickier to make than the Slider E100's).

     The Sangean DT-400W seems to have the best wide-band sensitivity of any stock Ultralight tested here recently, although still far short of the Slider models on every frequency. For stock units, it seems a fairly good value at around $55.

     73  Gary DeBock

In a message dated 12/21/2008 1:08:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, gkinsman@... writes:

Hello all,

I did a quick sensitivity comparison of a G6, an E100 and a DT-
200VX. "0" means Nil, "1" means Poor, "2" means Fair, "3" means Good.

Station (G6, E100, DT-200VX)
530 Simi Valley TIS (2, 0.5, 0)
530 LAX TIS (1.5, 0, 0)
550 KUZZ (2, 1, 0.5)
980 KFWB (3, 3, 2.5)
1700 XEKTT (2, 2, 1)

The G6 is much more sensitive than the E100 at the low end of the
band, and the E100 is more sensitive than the DT-200VX across the
band. These are all stock, unaligned units. I've tested one other DT-
200VX that performed essentially the same as this one.

I compared the low band sensitivity of the G6 to my 7600GR, and it
was almost as sensitive. For such a small radio, the G6 has
outstanding low band sensitivity.

Unfortunately, the G6 has some nasty birdies on 580, 770, 1160 and
1350 kHz. They sound like computer noise (whirring), and they can't
be tuned around. Using an external loop like the Terk or the C.
Crane Twin Coil can overcome them. Without an external antenna,
reception on these four frequencies will be very difficult.

The E100 is a "cleaner" receiver; it has only one birdie around 640
kHz (varies by temperature). It is just a pure tone, and tuning up
or down 1 or 2 kHz can usually get around it.

I haven't noticed any birdies on the DT-200VX, which is a good
thing, given its 10 kHz tuning step.

The E100 has slightly better audio than the G6, at least on AM, and
I prefer its rotary volume control. If you need SSB or standalone
low band sensitivity, then the G6 is the way to go, otherwise the
E100 is a better value at current prices.

Regards,
Gary