G6, E100, DT-200VX sensitivity comparison

Gary Kinsman

Hello all,

I did a quick sensitivity comparison of a G6, an E100 and a DT-
200VX. "0" means Nil, "1" means Poor, "2" means Fair, "3" means Good.

Station (G6, E100, DT-200VX)
530 Simi Valley TIS (2, 0.5, 0)
530 LAX TIS (1.5, 0, 0)
550 KUZZ (2, 1, 0.5)
980 KFWB (3, 3, 2.5)
1700 XEKTT (2, 2, 1)

The G6 is much more sensitive than the E100 at the low end of the
band, and the E100 is more sensitive than the DT-200VX across the
band. These are all stock, unaligned units. I've tested one other DT-
200VX that performed essentially the same as this one.

I compared the low band sensitivity of the G6 to my 7600GR, and it
was almost as sensitive. For such a small radio, the G6 has
outstanding low band sensitivity.

Unfortunately, the G6 has some nasty birdies on 580, 770, 1160 and
1350 kHz. They sound like computer noise (whirring), and they can't
be tuned around. Using an external loop like the Terk or the C.
Crane Twin Coil can overcome them. Without an external antenna,
reception on these four frequencies will be very difficult.

The E100 is a "cleaner" receiver; it has only one birdie around 640
kHz (varies by temperature). It is just a pure tone, and tuning up
or down 1 or 2 kHz can usually get around it.

I haven't noticed any birdies on the DT-200VX, which is a good
thing, given its 10 kHz tuning step.

The E100 has slightly better audio than the G6, at least on AM, and
I prefer its rotary volume control. If you need SSB or standalone
low band sensitivity, then the G6 is the way to go, otherwise the
E100 is a better value at current prices.

Regards,
Gary