Re: HALF INCH 12.7MM IN DIAMETER FERRITE RODS.

Peter Tankard <peter.tankard@...>

HI Gary from peter a very big thnkyou to you I did not know that you can get the old half inch ferrite rods from old radios on Ebay I will get looking right away Best regards from peter tankard.D1028Gary@aol.com wrote:

Hello Peter,

This is Gary DeBock, ferrite rod transplant enthusiast on the
west
coast of the USA. Welcome to the group site, and to the worldwide
Ultralight DX Team.

As you may have suspected, half-inch diameter ferrite rods are no
longer in production, and the only way to obtain them is to purchase
old vintage portable radios from eBay or other sources, and remove
the rods for your projects. This is not an ideal situation, but
currently it is the only possible supply source.

If you need a high-quality half-inch diameter ferrite rod that
is a
full 7.25 inch length, may I suggest the Heathkit GR-17 and GR-24
portables, which occasionally show up on eBay, going for around $25
US. Old Heathkit AM-FM stereo tuners from the 60's (AJ-33, etc.)
also have half inch diameter rods, with lengths around 6.25".

The procurement of 3/8 inch rods is much easier, and an
experimenter in
the USA can usually track down all he needs in short order. Sony
vintage radios (6R-33, TR-6400, ICF-S5W, etc.) all have a 3/8" by
6.25" rod of high quality, and other vintage radios by Panasonic and
Sanyo also have similar rods. These radios (with the exception of
the ICF-S5W) are extremely cheap on
eBay, and go for around $10-20 on average. Most of them are
inoperable, which makes the tinkerer feel a little better when he
takes out the ferrite rod :>)

There will shortly be an article written concerning my 7", 14"
and 20" ferrite-bar transplant experiments in the Sony SRF-39FP
ultralight radio,
which have resulted in ultra-sensitive DX machines. I hope this
detailed article will help those who have interest in this
fascinating experimentation.

73, Gary

**************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
Guides.