Re: Brandon's E100 Slider + mount

Brandon Jordan <bcdx.org@...>

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words! I was wracking my brain trying to think of a good way to mount the ferrite rod the the stand while wandering around the hardware store and spotted those "brackets". It might be this weekend before I can make it back up there and find out what in the heck these things are called and what they are used for. One thing I do remember is that they were less than a dollar each! I'll post an update as soon as I have the info. I really am impressed how well they support the ferrite rod, and with plenty of clearance above the edge of the base. I am curious to hear what other ideas you have for them...

Regarding the stand and the turntable, the back verticle support of the stand fits in the grooves of the turntable perfectly and keeps the stand oriented without having to attach the stand in any way.

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. I will definitely look at the Radio Shack terminal blocks. As I would like to be able to break the entire thing down, I believe I will look for some nylon screws to attach the brackets and get rid of as much metal as possible. I will post updated photos and description when further progress is made.

73,
Brandon

John H. Bryant wrote:

Hey, Brandon!!!

Fabulous job on the Slider!!! Good looking and sure to be an excellent DX machine. Several suggestions:

1. When you are done, please re-photograph it and update the verbiage.... I'd very much like to add it to a gallery of Sliders on dxer.ca. Your differing ideas on the construction details will be enormously helpful to others heading down this road. PLEASE do let us know what those brackets are called and what section of the hardware store you found them in.... even a part number and store name would be nice. Those things were a great find!

2. If you want to be a purist, changing out those bolts holding the white brackets is probably worth doing.... BUT actually they may be far enough away not to affect the bar. You could either use brass machine screws (aka small bolts) or nylon ones. Both are available in the horizontal hardware drawers of most hardware and big-box home stores.

3. The white four-hole terminal blocks that I use for quick-change of coils or radios is a Radio Shack terminal block that comes as a 10 or 12 holer. It cuts apart into smaller units quite easily. I use a utility knife.

Eventually, somebody has GOT to make an SRF-39FP Slider on one of those gorgeous transparent Universal mini-stands.... an artistic high point, for sure.

Brandon, that thing looks so good that I'm tempted to make one myself, just to look at.... *yours has the major advantage over my design of not requiring a table saw and woodworking.*.... much more doable for many folks.... all you need is a 1/4" electric drill and Superglue. BRAVO! The only advantage of mine is that the base and mounting board come apart for transportation or storage... a real advantage for a few folks, but meaningless to most.

Do let us know the details of the white brackets as soon as is convenient.... I've got other plans for those puppies :>)

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA
Rcvrs: Hotrodded NRD-535, Slider e100's
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array