Re: Brandon's E100 Slider + mount

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Hey, Brandon!!!

Fabulous job on the Slider!!!  Good looking and sure to be an excellent DX machine.  Several suggestions:

1. When you are done, please re-photograph it and update the verbiage.... I'd very much like to add it to a gallery of Sliders on dxer.ca.  Your differing ideas on the construction details will be enormously helpful to others heading down this road. PLEASE do let us know what those brackets are called and what section of the hardware store you found them in.... even a part number and store name would be nice.  Those things were a great find!

2. If you want to be a purist, changing out those bolts holding the white brackets is probably worth doing.... BUT actually they may be far enough away not to affect the bar. You could either use brass machine screws (aka small bolts) or nylon ones.  Both are available in the horizontal hardware drawers of most hardware and big-box home stores.

3. The white four-hole terminal blocks that I use for quick-change of coils or radios is a Radio Shack terminal block that comes as a 10 or 12 holer. It cuts apart into smaller units quite easily. I use a utility knife.

Eventually, somebody has GOT to make an SRF-39FP Slider on one of those gorgeous transparent Universal mini-stands.... an artistic high point, for sure.

Brandon, that thing looks so good that I'm tempted to make one myself, just to look at.... yours has the major advantage over my design of not requiring a table saw and woodworking..... much more doable for many folks.... all you need is a 1/4" electric drill and Superglue. BRAVO!  The only advantage of mine is that the base and mounting board come apart for transportation or storage... a real advantage for a few folks, but meaningless to most.

 Do let us know the details of the white brackets as soon as is convenient.... I've got other plans for those puppies :>)

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA
Rcvrs: Hotrodded NRD-535, Slider e100's
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array

At 10:44 PM 12/15/2008 -0600, you wrote:

I finally got all the pieces together to get started on building an E100
Slider and mount over the weekend. The radio mounted on Universal Radio
"Mini Translucent Mount" and C.Craine "AM Radio Turntable". The ferrite
rod is mounted on two plastic brackets that I found at the hardware
store, no idea what they are or what they are used for. If anyone is
interested then let me know and I will stop by hardware store and check
and see what these things are actually named. I mounted two narrow
lengths of 1/2" i.d. plastic tubing to the white brackets using super
glue and it works perfectly to hold the rod securely in place. The two
screws mounted above the radio were for a quick connect for the coil,
but I think I will try another method. Still to be added is the external
antenna pickup coil along with a BNC jack mount on the back of the
stand. I also have plans for adding heavy duty rubber feet to the
turntable, some sort of setting circle marked in 1° increments, along
with mounting a small compass to aid in proper orientation. After new
years the radio is off to Steve for the filter mod.

This mount was a breeze to put together once I found the white brackets
to hold the ferrite rod and then figured out attaching short length of
tube inside the semi-circle to actually mount the rod through. My
initial thoughts were to hot glue the rod to the mount, but this method
is worlds better. And if one wanted to eliminate as much metal as
possible, the metals screws to bolt the ferrite rod mount brackets to
the stand could easily be replaced with superglue.

Here is a link: http://www.bcdx.org/slider/

73,
Brandon