Re: Vertical antenna ideas for MW ?

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

--- On Mon, 12/15/08, Carl DeWhitt <carl_elissa@...> wrote:

Since vertical antennas favor lower angle signals,i wonder if a
vertical antenna might be useful for logging stations on am frequencies
that otherwise might not be heard ?I have seen helical vertical
antennas for ham radio including 40 meters.I am wondering if there is a
design in existance for MW frequencies. Metal whip antennas that come on
some older cars are the only vertical type i have seen so far.Perhaps
this is an area we can do some experimenting in.Of course one drawback
might be that verticals are more prone to electrical noise
pickup.Perhaps they would be helpful in quiter reception areas.

Some people have had good results, but if you're in an area where there's much noise or close locals, the noise pickup will be a problem as you noted.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id