Re: which one is ultralight

Kevin Schanilec

Hey Kevin:

The definition of what constitutes an "Ultralight" went through significant deliberation and review, and the definitions are where we ended up. There is some flexibility built in, as you have observed, and when a new radio comes along, it is looked at on its own merits, a decision is made, and we move on. I can appreciate that not everyone would necessarily choose these criteria, and DXers are of course free to use whatever they like: however, in this corner of the hobby, this is what we've settled on. At the same time, we welcome participation from DXers of all types, and only ask that the choices made here are respected. In the end, the intent is to provide criteria for this niche of the hobby which, like QRP and crystal sets, involves placing voluntary constraints on the gear you use in order to provide extra challenge and interest.

Kevin S
Moderator

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Kevin Davidson" <kevin@...> wrote:

I must say that the "entertainment-grade radio" criterion in the definitions seems fuzzy. Here's what it says:

"It is an entertainment-grade radio, as opposed to enthusiast's radio. As such, it will usually not have AM synchronous detection, SSB clarification or other specialized features."

So when does "usually" not apply, and what does "specialized features" mean? I would argue that the Tecsun PL-380 is not an "entertainment-grade radio" because of specialized features like selectable bandwidth and the display of signal to noise ratio.

My personal opinion is that the < $100 criterion is an objective one and serves the purpose of defining "entertainment-grade". I mean, just how many radios would you include by dropping the "entertainment-grade" section of the definition entirely?

I also note that comments on this tread say that the <$100 price criterion is the price at the time of "introduction". The Definition says at time of "approval".