Re: which one is ultralight

Kevin Davidson

I must say that the "entertainment-grade radio" criterion in the definitions seems fuzzy. Here's what it says:

"It is an entertainment-grade radio, as opposed to enthusiast's radio. As such, it will usually not have AM synchronous detection, SSB clarification or other specialized features."

So when does "usually" not apply, and what does "specialized features" mean? I would argue that the Tecsun PL-380 is not an "entertainment-grade radio" because of specialized features like selectable bandwidth and the display of signal to noise ratio.

My personal opinion is that the < $100 criterion is an objective one and serves the purpose of defining "entertainment-grade". I mean, just how many radios would you include by dropping the "entertainment-grade" section of the definition entirely?

I also note that comments on this tread say that the <$100 price criterion is the price at the time of "introduction". The Definition says at time of "approval".

--- In ultralightdx@..., Rick Robinson <w4dst@...> wrote:

In my opinion the standards of the ULR list regarding what is and what
isn't an ultralight radio are quite arbitrary a. Both the S350DL and
the PL-660 are too large physically to be considered ULRs. However the
Grundig G6 is smaller that most ULRs, and a better stock MW receiver
sensitivity-wise than my stock Tecsun PL-380, but it is not considered a
ULR due to its having a BFO/SSB circuit. It costs less than $100 which
qualifies it as a ULR according to list guidelines, while a Sony T615 is
$145 on ebay which should disqualify it but doesn't in the eyes of some
ULR members. Go figure...

I'll bet the G6 is merely the first of many small portables with SSB
capabilities that will come along. Synchronous AM can't be too far
behind as a feature in small ULR sized portables. Tecsun and Degen both
have a good thing going with Grundig and the Chinese ebay dealers and
I'm sure they realize that.

Rick W4DST
I have two receivers Grundig s350dl and a Tecsun PL660 .Are they consider Ultralight¿