Ross Challenge and Other Doings

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

We got back to Stillwater, OK after Thanksgiving in Texas with family and I finally got half of my Wellbrook Array up (NW and SE.) On the 30th, despite having too much to do, I decided to spend a little time DXing using the Slider coupled to the Wellbrook. I was really just filling in my Spectrum Chart (like the one in dxer.ca) First, I added in the 80 stations that I heard last Spring during the Sprint, because they were the only Ultralighting I'd already done from here in Oklahoma. I already had an Ultralight Oklahoma database because I had to turn one in for the Sprint, so I just started adding to that database, too. What fun, practically starting from scratch with an excellent antenna and a good radio! The first three days, I just DXed for a couple of hours at sunrise and sunset, but after three days, I was surprised to find that I had well over 60 new ones, not relogging any of the first 80.

I don't like operating under pressure, but I really wanted one of those nice Ross Challenge Awards for my wall and I figgered it was now or never, so I kept going. Conditions are particularly good right now, with longer SRS and SS periods due to the steeply slanting sun, so things went really well.

This is the close of the 6th day and I have 120 new stations, so I've crossed the 200 total station barrier and have the 7-Day Challenge down for sure.
I'll upload my best catches after tomorrow, as well as count up for other awards, but I want to do the complete 7 days first.

I'm not going to do the 30-day challenge now.... I'd rather start clear over, Barefoot, for that (maybe next year:>)

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to slowing down and really analyzing the band, one channel at a time... I think that I'll also start doing some over-night TOH recordings with my laptop and Total Recorder on selected channels. That is the standard technique with the GY DXers and I'd like to apply it to other parts of the band, too. I'm convinced there us a lot more there than we usually here.

Speaking of "more there," this evening, at 0207 UTC, I happened to be sitting on 1130 and heard most of a traffic report, naming a number of the suburbs of Vancouver, BC. It all sounded quite familiar as that was/is one of my Nemesis stations in Washington state, "News 1130 CKWX, Vancouver!!!" That is my first West Coast station from here with an Ultralight. It was my 199th station.

Well, I owe some people e-mails and the design for a GY DXers Ultralight Award, but the Ross Challenge is still calling. Forgive me, I'll return to semi-normalcy after tomorrow.

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA
Rcvrs: Hotrodded NRD-535, Slider e100's
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array