Re: Working with shorter (and cheaper) ferrites - The Backpack FSL

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Thanks for your detailed consideration of this, Kevin.
It confirms what I half-assumed, but wasnt sure of.
I hadnt thought of the opposing "grain" of ferrite rings
as compared to rods or bars, which may well be
significant.

Early on in the FSL discussion, we briefly mentioned
the coil-diameter issue and the assumed simplified
underlying principle that the ferrite allows the loop
to be reduced in size for similar performance. It would
be interesting to experiment with a, say, 12inch loop
and different arrays of "lumped" ferrite inside, which would
doubtless be inferior to the best FSL designs, but might
give additional insight into viable variants.

Is Chinese ferrite available? Quality? Price?

Michael UK

From:Kevin S

I've been swamped at work lately, but have managed to do some experimenting with Ferrite Sleeve
Loop
(FSL) antennas using shorter ferrites, seeing if smaller and cheaper FSLs are possible. Graham's
initial FSL article indicated that ferrite length in itself is not a critical parameter: it is the
coil of wire that receives the signal, not the ferrite. As long as there is sufficient ferrite in
the vicinity of the coil, providing the "FSL effect" if you will, the signal developed in the coil
should be the same. Some of Steve R.'s experiments earlier this year seemed to confirm this.

To test this, I recently built what I call the Backpack FSL, a summary of which is now posted here
in the Files Section, in the "Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antenna" folder (bottom of the main Files page).
This design uses 65 mm (about 2.5 inch) ex-Soviet NOS ferrite rods, which are of the same #400
ferrite material as most other ex-Soviet ferrite. I have also started to rough out a large FSL
using the 62 mm Soviet bars, sold by at least a couple eBay sellers, which run about three for a
dollar depending on the quantity.