Re: Working with shorter (and cheaper) ferrites - The Backpack FSL

Kevin Schanilec

Hi Micheal:

I forgot to mention, in response to your other question: Steve R.'s experiments showed that ferrite length doesn't add sensitivity, but only adds to the inductance. So, wrapping a couple more turns around shorter ferrites would give the same inductance, and at least equal performance. As long as you don't run out of space to wind the coil, the shorter ferrites appear to provide the same result. This matched what Graham reported in his theory discussion.

Kevin

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Michael" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

Expanding on this idea, has anyone tried using a row of
25mm or larger dia RF ferrite cores simulating a
thick hollow ferrite rod in a budget FSL?

Are diameter and length or is the mass of ferrite inside
the coil more determinant?

A smaller coil diameter might be in part offset by greater
length if more cores were used, pressed firmly together,
and/or by using a trangular array of three rows of cores,
thereby increasing the mass of ferrite.

Pre-empting experimental results, what performance
might theory suggest?

Ferrite cores are, I know not why, more affordable than
a recommended number of rods or bars. However, the
cost-performance ratio might not be better.

Michael UK