Re: 230 foot Beverage on ground worth running?- FARMERIK

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

An earthed transformer is certainly the safest approach. Could you give us more
detail on your arrangement, Steve? I assume it would be a toroid winding with
the hi-Z to the longwire and a lo-Z tap through the coax to the receiver and the
cold end earthed. I would think a, say, two-inch toroid with a thick wire winding and
a good earth rod would work well and return any ground current induced by not-too-close
CG lightning back to earth. Least current would be induced in an elevated longwire,
less in a wire on the ground and most in a wire in the ground. Only good fortune will
protect from a close strike and Murphy! For peace of mind, I would always disconnect
receivers from outside aerials in a storm.

Michael UK