Re: 230 foot Beverage on ground worth running?- FARMERIK

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

You have two problems with that - the one you stated, which I think is valid, and the one you didn't mention, which is breaks in the wire.

At the annual Long beach Island ( NJ ) DXpedition we've repeatedly had problems with the areas where vehicles can enter the beach and even burying the wire 6-10" deep in the sane hasn't avoided them getting broken. But the point here is that even if the performance wouldn't degrade more in soil than in sand, you probably couldn't reasonably bury it deep enough to avoid it being uncovered by the horses.

Is there somewhere immediately adjacent where you could run it along the same area but out of the way ?

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'; Grundig G8
AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot

--- On Tue, 10/18/11, Bob Coomler wrote:

Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] 230 foot Beverage on ground worth running?- FARMERIK
To: "ultralightdx@..."
Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 7:43 PM

Since we are on the topic of BOG's ...  I hope to have one down and running very soon.  I've found that the wash where I'm going to have the antenna has at least one path used occasionally by horse riders. The wire will not be tied or pinned down, but I certainly don't want to take any chances on causing injuries or problems.  How much of the wire, and at what depth, can the wire be buried?  I know there are many, many variables, but any general thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Bob Coomler
Tucson, AZ

To: ultralightdx@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] 230 foot Beverage on ground worth running?- FARMERIK

I have run elevated longwires for 9 years now, and use matching transformers to run the coax back to the shack. As such, the longwire is automatically grounded through the transformer/ground rod for any lightning-induced pickup short of a direct strike. I have never had any problems with lightning discharges except one time when I had to replace the transformer after a storm. Even that time, there was no damage to either the coax cable or the receivers on the other end. I never disconnect any radios or anything associated with these antennas during any storms, with or without associated lightning.
I would think a BOG with a matching transformer would be even less likely to be hurt by a lightning strike, being right on the ground.

Steve
NE Oregon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:15 PM

One wouldn't anticipate lightning strikes during the winter months. Keeping the radio disconnected and the wire adequately grounded when not in use should help that.

But you were probably more interested in comments about length. Generally speaking, a BOG of a given lngth is roughly equal in performance to an elevated antenna of twice that length. I think it'd be worth a try.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'; Grundig G8
AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot

--- On Tue, 10/18/11, Michael wrote:

Subject: [ultralightdx] 230 foot Beverage on ground worth running?- FARMERIK

Last Winter I ran a temporary 500 foot BOG, and it did very well but was pointed in the wrong
direction. I could bury Co-ax across my lawn and have a permanent BOG, but it would only be 230 feet
long. The far end would point ENE toward northern Europe from here in Connecticut USA, and the
'back' would point toward the middle of the country. Too short to be a REAL BOG, it should not have
such a narrow reception pattern, or so I've read on line. Mostly I listen to the lower SW bands, AM
and I'd still like LW BCB, but am probably too far inland for that with such a short antenna.

Anyone here have opinions about if it would work reasonably well?

I know it is not ideal, but it would 'point' in the directions I am interested in, if it worked like
a BOG not a long wire antenna.

VERY VERY heavy lightning strikes at my hill top location, so high and in the clear is NOT a safe
possibility.

FARMERIK
------------------------------------

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.