From: Bob Coomler
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] 230 foot Beverage on ground worth running?- FARMERIK
To: "ultralightdx@..."
Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 7:43 PM

Since we are on the topic of BOG's ...  I hope to have one down and running very soon.  I've found that the wash where I'm going to have the antenna has at least one path used occasionally by horse riders. The wire will not be tied or pinned down, but I certainly don't want to take any chances on causing injuries or problems.  How much of the wire, and at what depth, can the wire be buried?  I know there are many, many variables, but any general thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Bob Coomler
Tucson, AZ

From: "farmerik" <farmerik@...>

Last Winter I ran a temporary 500 foot BOG, and it did very well but was pointed in the wrong
direction. I could bury Co-ax across my lawn and have a permanent BOG, but it would only be 230 feet
long. The far end would point ENE toward northern Europe from here in Connecticut USA, and the
'back' would point toward the middle of the country. Too short to be a REAL BOG, it should not have
such a narrow reception pattern, or so I've read on line. Mostly I listen to the lower SW bands, AM
and I'd still like LW BCB, but am probably too far inland for that with such a short antenna.

Anyone here have opinions about if it would work reasonably well?

I know it is not ideal, but it would 'point' in the directions I am interested in, if it worked like
a BOG not a long wire antenna.

VERY VERY heavy lightning strikes at my hill top location, so high and in the clear is NOT a safe
possibility.

FARMERIK