Re: Another One From the Graveyard and a Modest Proposal

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Sounds to me like the Graveyard Stations Heard award is a consensus.  I do think that it would make sense to design a special award, with an appropriate graphic.  Give me a week and we'll institute such.

Last winter and Spring here in Oklahoma, I did GY DXing using my 535 and recording every TOH on a particular channel from before SS until after SR. I did that for 5 months - every night - and managed to hear about 120 stations on the 6 GY frequencies, BUT this was with my Wellbrook array....  I think that you were right on, having the Master GY DXer Award at 100.... and I do think that is possible from the NW, but it is sure easier (but still VERY difficult) in the middle of the country.

I gotta say though that durn Kirk Allen has managed to hear farther on the GY channels than I ever did and he was using a stock E100 and a Select-a-Tenna.

ON ANOTHER SUBJECT.

In my one day of domestic DXing back here, I've decided to try out a new Slider e100 without the selectivity mod. The Murata filtered Slider e100 is so selective that the audio is still less than optimum, even off-tuning 1 kHz.  Its absolutely wonderful on those transoceanic splits, but I think the stock selectivity might just work better doing domestics.  I will do some real-time A/B testing and report (and reread what Gary had to say in his latest article, too.)

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA
Rcvrs: Hotrodded NRD-535, Slider e100's
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array

At 04:07 PM 11/30/2008 -0500, you wrote:

John C., John B. and the Group,

     Graveyard DXing is kind of a "final frontier" of domestic DX chasers, so as long as the Awards Committee could handle the extra administrative work, I agree with John Cereghin that more recognition should be given for outstanding accomplishments in this area.  The "300 in 30 days" DXers seem to gravitate to the Graveyard after successfully meeting the challenge (no morbid pun intended), since these frequencies typically provide the most productive source of new DX loggings.  In addition, there certainly is a major challenge involved in attempting to sort out multiple ghostly signals in hopes of catching an elusive ID, or identity clue. Logging distant Graveyarders is an extra challenge, on top of the already formidable task of sorting the local maze of ghostly signals.

     This type of competition would also possibly spur experimentation on more directional antennas, and other technical innovations.  From the beginning, the theme of Ultralight DXing has always been taking on huge challenges with very simple receivers, and relying on personal skill and determination to make fantastic receptions. I agree with John C. that Graveyard DXing is a special challenge, which needs to be specially recognized and awarded.  100 Graveyard stations logged would be an outstanding accomplishment, perhaps equally formidable (in effort required) to the Master TP, or Master TA DXer award.  It would also be great to have a major Ultralight DXing challenge available for everybody on the North American continent, even those with little hope of chasing TP's or TA's.  It sounds like a super idea, although with my west coast location the Graveyard has little life to offer :>).

     73,  Gary