Saturday night / Sunday morning Ultralight logs

MarkWA1ION

Noted around local midnight (EDT) / 0400 UTC on SRF-39FP:

1359 Spain - fairly loud, about equal to 1360 WDRC/WNJC.

1584 Ceuta - audio popping up once in a while if I nulled 1580 CKDO.

Unfortunately on 1530 it was all WCKY on the Sony even though at 0419
UTC on my Drake R8A / northeast SuperLoop combo, the Vatican's chime
interval signal was clearly dominating 1530. This points out one of
the great failings of ferrite rod antennas here in the northeastern
US: a bidirectional pick-up pattern when clearly a cardioid (nulling
west or southwest) is to be preferred.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA