Re: Affordable (?) 7" Diameter FSL Design

Gary DeBock

Hi Jerry,

The "Affordable" 7" Medium Wave FSL design (posted at
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?lq2ummbunzz5p3s ) has always called for 64
of the Russian surplus 140mm x 8mm ferrite rods, and this design will
never change as long as the ferrite supply holds out (although the eBay
sellers listing these ferrite rods have noticed the increased demand,
and are trying to get a few more rubles for their rods and/ or their
shipping). When originally designed, the "Affordable" FSL could be
built for under $150 (U.S. dollars) including the high quality 660/46
Litz wire and "N50P" variable cap, but unfortunately the ferrite rod
prices are something beyond my control. The 7" FSL's weak signal DXing
performance has been tested against that of a full-sized 4' sided air
core tuned passive loop here, though (the August 2010 Oregon Beach
DXpedition portable antenna), and it proved superior in receiving four
AM fringe daytime DX stations (MP3's on request).

I'm sorry that I can't supply you with a complete "Funnoodle," Jerry,
but I should have enough of the material left for one or two of your
FSL projects. As for the Oatey 4 x 4 foam spacers and the 3" pipe
insulation, those are in constant supply throughout the USA, and it's
no problem to provide you with your required amounts.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)