Re: Affordable (?) 7" Diameter FSL Design

jerry_popiel

Gary, does the Affordable FSL still include those 140 mm size Ferrite Rods, as I have some on order as per your recent posted picture since the 160 mm Ferrite Rod size is no longer available? How many of the 140 mm Rods ie 64?

Also, if possible & still available, can I pay you for your costs & postage for one of those Out of Season Funnoodles - (I've been to 4 stores up here and they are all no longer stocked for this year), as well as 2 of the Oatey 4 x 4 Foam, and one of the 3 inch Pipe Insulation? I have the 3/4 inch PVC Pipe, the NP 50 Capacitor, and the 660/46 Litz wire is on order.

Thanks
Jerry

Hi Phil,

Well, you are in luck (as long as you like the color green)!

I have enough "Funn" on hand for your two 7" FSL projects, assuming
that you wish to make them in the same "Affordable" design that was
described earlier. I recommend a 6" long section of the Funnoodle
floating tube, to use as an inner core of the "Affordable" FSL (with a
3/4" PVC pipe running through it, as a horizontal hanging frame
section). This provides an extra 2" or so of Funnoodle length to mount
the recommended "N50P" 381 pf variable capacitor (from
http://www.crystalradiosupply.com , with 8:1 vernier drive) as shown in
the photo.

There seems to be a lot of interest in the "Affordable" 7" FSL design,
so I'll try to publish step-by-step construction procedures for it very
soon. Glad to hear that you are considering a Longwave version of it--
an "Affordable" Longwave FSL is also one of the impending projects here
(along with about 10 others :-) My latest Longwave-optimized FSL (an
8", 12-pound model) was completed just 4 days ago, and it has already
received 5 new NDB beacons for me. A design photo of the new LW antenna
is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/i/?3ihi7a9d924prhg .

73, Gary