Re: Longwave Question

mischabronstring

I have both the Roberts Sports 925 and the R9924, both of which are, in my opinion, *excellent* LW performers. Of all the radios I own, including the larger ones (ATS909, PL660), they are the best on LW and I recommend them to anyone interested in ULR LW DX-ing. From my location in The Netherlands, I hear BBC4, RTE Ireland, Germany, France, Monaco in the daytime. Poland, The Chech Republic and Algeria are clear at night. They're built like a tank, and not very expensive.

Regards,
Mischa

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Michael" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

I have a Sports 925, which is average on MW and LW -
not least due to short ferrite, alignment and tracking
issues. An external inductively coupled ferrite or loop
helps, of course. Nominally, it covers 150-280kHz and
530-1710kHz. The chip is the ubiquitous CXA1619BM,
the data sheet of which is easily searched. I have not been
able to locate the R925 schematic on the net. I am curious
about the configuration of the MW and LW windings and switching.

If anyone has found the R925 schematic, please post a link!

Michael UK

----- Original Message ---------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Longwave Question

There are a few UK radios that, on paper, may well qualify as ULRs and which have LW coverage. The
Roberts (Sangean) R9924, Sports 925 and Sports 994, and the "Steepletone Mw/Lw/Fm Sports Receiver
Pocket Radio", were all spotted on Amazon.co.uk just now. They are all analog sets, so while one
could fine tune them, knowing what frequency you are on could be a challenge. Also, I presume that
they could be easily re-aligned to provide coverage at least into the 300+ kHz range for beacons.

The Roberts Sports 988 looks like a Sangean DT200 with LW, so digital but likely with 9 khz tuning
steps and strictly limited to 153-279 khz.

Do any of you in the UK have any experience with these sets???

Kevin S

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.