From: D1028Gary@...
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Longwave Question
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Thursday, September 1, 2011, 4:54 PM

<<< My question is this: What small radio (not necessarily UL) is
best at un-modified LW DX ? I think I would love to hit one of the
Eastern beaches one night and see what I can get. I really don't have
the time to build an antenna at the moment. >>>

Hello Neil,

All of the Tecsun Ultralight models were compared here for Longwave
performance, so there is some pretty accurate information about that. A
European market Sony SRF-M37L model (I believe) was manufactured with
Longwave coverage, but I don't have access to it here for comparison
purposes.

The best of the Tecsun DSP Ultralight models on Longwave is the PL-310,
which edges out the PL-606, which in turn edges out the PL-380. All of
these models are far superior on Longwave to the PL-360 model, whose
ridiculous midget loopstick should be labeled "for amusement only." To
put matters into perspective, however, even the PL-310's Longwave
sensitivity is nowhere near that of a Sony ICF-SW7600GR, and far worse
than that of the Sony ICF-2010. Without modification, none of the
Tecsun DSP models will receive anything but the very strongest LW
beacons or LWBC stations.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)