Ultralight Anniversary Award for Kevin Schanilec

Gary DeBock

Hello Guys,

     The Ultralight Radio enthusiast group has many things to be thankful for today--  an exciting new way to enjoy AM-DXing, a well established awards and records program, a fantastic Canadian web site for group communication-- and a core group of dedicated DXers who helped start and organize the movement.
     We are especially thankful for the outstanding DXer who gave us the "Ultralight Radio" name-- Kevin Schanilec.  From the very beginning of the movement, Kevin has played a central role in promoting, reviewing and testing Ultralight radios, as well as contributing many outstanding technical articles (including his classic description of audio phasing techniques).  Kevin's technical and equipment review articles have been extremely popular on the DXer.Ca web site, and Kevin has volunteered his time to serve on both the Ultralight Definitions Committee, and the Ultralight Contest Committee.

     Recently Kevin has written another classic technical file, describing the use of Passive Loop Antennas.  Kevin has continually been a leader in the experimentation to boost Ultralight radio reception using inductively coupled active and passive loop systems, providing an inexpensive way for apartment and townhouse DXers to increase the performance of their Ultralight radios.

     In appreciation of Kevin's outstanding contributions to the Ultralight Radio DX movement, he will now have a new radio to enjoy during this winter DX season--  a new, fully modified E100 Ultralight (Slider loopstick and Murata CFJ455K5 IF filter), designed as the ultimate stand-alone AM-DXing portable for both 9 KHz split DXing, and for domestic DXing.  This fanatical creation will hopefully express the appreciation of all Ultralight Radio DXers for Kevin's generous and innovative efforts, in promoting our exciting new niche hobby.

     On behalf of the Ultralight Radio leadership, I take great pleasure in presenting Kevin with this Founders Award, and know that other ULR DXers will join me on this Thanksgiving Day in expressing their gratitude for his many contributions!

     73 and Good DX,

     Gary DeBock and John Bryant  (for the Ultralight Radio DXing Group)