From: D1028Gary@...
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Re: DSP noise
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 3:13 PM

Hi Rick,

To my knowledge, despite all the dire warnings, nobody has actually
"fried" an Si4734 chip by directly connecting any antenna in place of
the stock loopstick. Graham Maynard's original FSL article gave a
severe warning not to try directly connecting an FSL this way
(surmising that the signal overload would surely burn up the chip), but
even Graham never mentioned an actual chip failure due to such a
connection.

Those in the group over a year ago may recall Jim Kearman's "Hoop Loop"
project, where he directly connected a 20" diameter air core loop to a
PL-380 in place of the stock loopstick, apparently suffering no ill
effects. Although the hard-wired connection to a 20" external loop
seemed kind of unwieldy to me for transportation reasons, I figured
that if the Si4734 chip varactor could survive such a test it could
probably survive direct connection to a moderately-sized FSL, and this
was verified in my own test. Of course, nobody really wants to "fry" an
Si4734 chip to find out exactly what the component's maximum signal
handling level is.

After directly connecting the small (12 rod) FSL to a PL-380 I ran an
LW signal "Shootout" test against a (hard-wired) 7.5" LW loopstick
PL-380, the same type of radio that was sent to Rob, Kevin and Patrick
(in France). The hard-wired FSL had superior RSSI and S/N readings on
every fringe LW signal, but the 7.5" loopstick was able to match it
station-for-station, at a slightly lower signal level. This wasn't the
result I was looking for-- the hard-wired FSL cost about $150 to
construct, while the 7.5" LW loopstick cost about $25. I figured that
the hard-wired FSL needed to at least receive a few stations that the
7.5" LW loopstick couldn't, in order to justify the steep cost of
construction-- but it couldn't do this. Accordingly, the hard-wired FSL
was dismantled, and the parts recycled into the inductively-coupled
6.5" Longwave FSL used for the recent Oregon Beach DXpedition. This
inductively-coupled FSL had performance that seemed to border on
science fiction, providing inductive coupling boosts to a stock PL-380
that allowed reception of many stations thaty were completely inaudible
on the 7.5" LW loopstick PL-380. When used together with the latter
model, it provided reception of a 1,000 watt LW beacon in the South
Pacific at over 5,000 miles from the Oregon beach site.

73, Gary