CLE145 Hot-Rodded Ultralight Preliminary Loggings

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

Thanks again to Brian for arranging this "Barn Door" CLE event, and for
his generous welcome to the new Ultralight NDB-chasing niche group.
Sometimes I wonder if Brian really knows what may transpire, when he
allows such a group of fanatics to come in the front door :-)

To show appreciation for Brian's welcome (and willingness to take
risks) I decided to make a maximum effort for this CLE, using the
modified Ultralight radio (7.5" LW loopstick PL-380) and antenna (6.5"
diameter Longwave Ferrite Sleeve Loop antenna) that had just returned
from the Oregon Beach NDB-DXpedition to Lincoln City. Both of these
tiny items will fit together in one cubic foot of space, although the
5' PVC base from the DXpedition was also used for this CLE event.

To be honest I didn't expect too much propagation help last night, and
right up until around 0700 UTC (0000 local) the static-filled Longwave
band lived up to my low expectations. Things turned much better after
that, however, and around 0900 UTC I was astonished to have an
excellent opening to Alaska, with 391-EEF having the best signal I've
ever heard here in Puyallup. The Alaska weather station on 393 kHz was
also heard for the first time here on Ultralights, and 233-ALJ's signal
almost made me feel like I was back on the Oregon beach. I tried hard
to hear the two strongest Hawaiians (332-POA and 353-LLD) but it seemed
that they had said Aloha for the night. There is still time for other
Ultralight radio NDB-DX fanatics to jump in and push their luck during
this late-July CLE event, so I would encourage all of you to join Steve
and me, and give it your best shot!

201107300716 200 YJ Victoria, BC
201107300705 203 ZKI Kitimat, BC
201107300533 206 PWT Bremerton, WA
201107300653 206 EF Castegar, BC
201107300645 214 LU Abbotsford, BC
201107300659 216 GRF Fort Lewis, WA
201107300707 218 PR Prince Rupert, BC
201007300640 221 QU Grande Prairie, AB
201007300633 227 CG Castlegar, BC
201007300658 230 YD Smithers, BC
201107300807 233 ALJ Johnstone Is., AK
201107300613 236 HQ Hoquiam, WA
201107300613 236 YZA Ashcroft, BC
201107300615 239 OJ High Level, AB
201107300615 240 BVS Burlington, WA
201107300616 242 XC Cranbrook, BC
201107300522 245 HE Hope, BC
201107300555 248 WG Winnipeg, MB
201107300601 251 YCD Nanaimo, BC
201107300603 257 LW Kelowna, BC
201107300609 260 YSQ Atlin, BC
201107300615 266 VR Vancouver, BC
201107300803 266 ICK Annette Is., AK
201107300547 269 YK Castlegar, BC
201107300622 272 XS Prince George, BC
201107300536 274 CAN Bremerton, WA
201107300656 284 FHR Friday Harbor, WA
201107300755 287 PE Peace River, AB
201107300740 290 YYF Penticton, BC
201107300742 293 MB Victoria, BC
201107300744 299 TV Turner Valley, AB
201107300749 312 UNT Penticton, BC
201107300752 317 VC La Ronge, SK
201107300633 326 DC Princeton, BC
201107300635 328 LAC Ft. Lewis, WA
201107300553 332 LBH Portland, OR
201107300555 332 VT Buffalo Narrows, SK
201107300558 335 CVP Helena, MT
201107300619 338 PBT Red Bluff, CA
201107300622 338 ZU Whitecourt, AB
201107300633 344 FCH Fresno, CA
201107300632 344 XX Abbotsford, BC
201107300635 348 MWC Shelton, WA
201107300549 350 NY Enderby, BC
201107300555 353 RNT Renton, WA
201107300740 356 ZF Yellowknife, NT
201107300616 359 BO Boise, ID
201107300618 359 YQZ Quesnel, BC
201107300548 362 BF Seattle, WA
201107300534 368 ZVR Vancouver, BC
201107300626 368 ZP Sandspit, BC
201107300629 371 ITU Great Falls, MT
201107300636 374 EX Kelowna, BC
201107300555 378 OT North Bend, OR
201107300607 382 AW Arlington, WA
201107300607 382 YE Fort Nelson, BC
201107300608 385 WL Williams Lake, BC
201107300610 389 YWB Kelowna, BC
201107300807 391 TK Smithers, BC
201107300808 391 EEF Sisters Is., AK
201107300737 394 DQ Dawson Creek, BC
201107300738 396 PA Everett, WA
201107300610 400 QQ Comox, BC
201107300536 404 MOG Montague, CA
201107300655 406 YLJ Meadow Lake, SK
201107300700 408 MW Moses Lake, WA
201107300812 410 GDV Glendive, MT
201107300612 411 RD Redmond, OR
201107300529 414 LYI Libby, MT

Of the 67 NDB's logged so far, the most distant have been 233-ALJ on
Johnstone Island, Alaska (about 1,320 miles) and 248-WG in Winnepeg, MB
(about 1,160 miles).

A photo of the 7.5" Longwave Loopstick Tecsun PL-380 model is posted at
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?2iebj7iadqxb8wn , and a photo of the 6.5"
diameter Longwave-optimized FSL antenna is posted at
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?8ydri137xcbjueb .

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)